In 1990, as a gift to the Portland Oregon Black community, Dr. Joy developed a set of standards of conduct that were adopted by the non-profit organization, Self Enhancement Inc.
THE SELF ENHANCEMENT (SEI) STANDARDS
These standards are founded upon the principles of integrity and respect. Integrity, because integrity exemplifies truthfulness, modesty and trustworthiness. Respect, because respect exemplifies courtesy, honor and reverence.
1. In SEI we greet each other every day with a smile and a handshake to strengthen the relationship between us.
2. In SEI we honor and respect each other and so we address one another with proper language and speech.
3. In SEI we value the space of others and ourselves and are careful not to intrude on or injure each other.
4. In SEI we are mindful of what is true and strive to be honest in word and deed.
5. In SEI we treasure our rich culture and we hold the cultures of all people in high regard.
6. In SEI we strive to reflect our beauty both inwardly, in our understanding and outwardly in our appearance.
©1990 (Revised 2004 Joy DeGruy)